PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I wrong about all this? Please help!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2002, 18:24
Captain Airclues
Just another number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Tony

The CRZ CG on the PERF page defaults to 8.5%. The actual CG is dependent on the LIZFW and the amount of fuel in the centre tank. For the conditions that you describe, the actual CG would be 22%-23% which would increase the MAX ALT by about 800ft. Many airlines provide a graph to calculate the actual CG.
The figure that you obtained from your QRH is probably the 1.3g Buffet Margin, which allows a bank of 48 degrees before the onset of the pre-stall buffet. While climbing to the MAX ALT is not ideal, it is not dangerous in certain circulstances and there are various safeguards built into the FMS calculations.
I think that there are CRM issues on both sides here. Perhaps the captain could have explained his thinking more clearly, although on a positve note, he did sense your unease and ask you if you were unhappy. However the fact that you said to him, "Don't tell me about experience", might have compomised future communication between the two of you.
I suggest that, rather than write to management, you sit down with this guy over a couple of pints of beer (preferably Boddingtons) and ask him to give you the benefit of his experience. You might even get to like each other.

Airclues

[ 19 January 2002: Message edited by: Captain Airclues ]</p>