PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 15:05
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pontius, thanks for coming back.

Correct, I did say that I wasn't claiming that the RN system was perfect. The point I was trying to make (badly) was that a technical accident investigation report should, in my view, be carried out separately from the SI.

For one thing, it would make the accident investigation report far easier to read and digest. It would also stop the SI staff 'editing' the accident inquiry report. Most importantly, it would allow the accident investigators to raise any issues concerning the regulatory authority.

I know for a fact that immediately after the RNAIU was folded into the MAA, its staff were being tasked by DGMAA to carry out 'investigations' into alleged issues at various stations where no accidents had actually taken place. The Colonel placed in charge of the MAAIB did as he was told by the DGMAA, and it was left to the RN investigators to point out the effect being used as 'MAA police' would have on their ability to carry out future investigations in an open manner.

The important thing (in my view) is for accident investigators to be effectively and publicly separated out from any aspect of apportionment of blame. The RNAIU was well respected about the FAA for its expertise and fiercely preserved its independence. As a result, people always felt able to speak to it without let or hindrance. I sincerely hope that the MAAIB can hold that reputation.

Best regards as ever to all those seeking the truth out there

Engines