PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are instructor seminars a thing of the past
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:06
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigEndBob.....

I might be wrong but one thing changed after seminars, we had a few inexperienced instructors flying 'turn back EFATOs' with tragic outcomes'. I can not imagine where they got that great idea from!

I would add that the relationship in the past between the CAA and and the seminars trainers/provider, I do of course refer to two senior CAA staff who upon retirement set themelves as up as seminar trainers/providers such as Capt. A.K and Capt. M.G.

Whopity.....

What a great way to describe it as 'stirring porridge'. I think we need to move away from this seminar culture, and think out of the box rather than tick the box. For example, reading AAIB reports on a regular basis is more worthwile, yet I wonder how many instructors do that. Again, the seminar requirement could be met within the flying club or airfield, facilitated by a CFI with a two hour standards meeting every three months. Alternatively why not simply have the option to self study modules. All this would save travel, hotac, endless coffee breaks, buffets and being told how to suck eggs.

i believe the CAA staff will always have seminars because they know it will provide them with cudos and extra income in retirement.

Last edited by Homsap; 8th Mar 2017 at 10:31.