PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 17:14
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks woptb

I retired before DCORS came in, but as I said, reporting air safety concerns was usually met with disciplinary action. As recently as November 2015, Minister for AF and Cabinet Secy ruled that this action should stand. Whistleblowing (a term I don't like as it is given negative connotations, yet could be said to be a legal obligation if you have formal delegation) likewise attracts immediate retribution. However, at least MoD has admitted that one is entitled to take such concerns to the media - it stated this in the 2015 briefing to Minister (supplied under FoI) when advising him that making false record is NOT an offence, and nor is instructing one to do so. BUT, refusing to obey that instruction is an offence. I know, I know, the pilot was charged with this! But studying the respective cases, the difference is the rank of those involved. MoD is happy to persecute a Flt Lt, but not an Air ranking officer. It is that protection, by virtue of rank, that I cannot abide. It has killed too many.