PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA
Old 6th Mar 2017, 18:52
Shun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

I've been reading up on the requirements for flight training in the U.S., and the more I'm researching the more confusing it gets. If someone could help me clarify things a little that would be most appreciated.
I live in Switzerland, where I've recently started my PPL training. Now, I'll be traveling the U.S. and Canada this spring, not for training but just as a vacation. However, I'd love to take a few flying lessons while I'm there, to get some aviation experience outside of my home country. I was thinking of maybe five or six hours at the most.

Now, apparently I would need to apply for the TSA foreign student program in order to start flight training in the United States. However, to obtain this permission it seems that I would also need a student visa (F1) or similar, which I don't have as of now (I'm traveling under the Visa Waiver program). But to get a student visa, I'd have to enroll in a full-time course??
That's where I'm stuck. Does anyone have some advice for me? As mentioned I don't intend to finish my training and/or apply for a license while abroad, I'm really just looking for some relaxed basic flying lessons.