PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KA248 tail strike
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2017, 01:21
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
It's disappointing to see the knife put into a couple of colleagues prior any outcome of an investigation and even then, any pilot with a bigger picture will understand the vulnerability of us all in a similar scenario. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, Airbus and the system washed their hands of any responsibility a little while ago by rescinding our "TOGA 10" training.

Now the Cherokee analogy may make you warm and fuzzy and secure mentally in your own professional insecurities in a similar scenario, however, the first time I flew a 321 I had 8000 short haul hours on Airbus. In typical fashion, we were tankering fuel to the extremities of MLW, it was my first flight on 321 and no KA training briefing or even a word on bug up with the software anomalies and VLS. Anyways, those who know the 321, know ghastly sinking feeling when you pull back stick in the flare and it's like you have completely lost elevator authority- nothing happens. Smashed onto the runway !

I would not have liked to be in the situation the crew found itself. Flare and Recovery Training was on a 320 sim and what is the level of fidelity when compared to a 321? TOGA 10 offering no guarantees and the 321 is a pig in certain landing scenarios.