PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2017, 07:00
LTNman

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
EL-AL will be starting operations out of Luton.

Luton will put in a mass transit system costing £200 million that will allow trains to travel up a hill.

2 airlines will start New York flights out of Luton.

A national flag carrier will use Boeing 777's for scheduled services into Luton.

Luton will handle Boeing 747's.

Well the above all happened!

I could go on but over the years sometimes the improbable does become reality even though at first it is hard to believe, which is a bit like the 4 non stop trains an hour to London that has been dismissed as unworkable and that Luton could end up with a link to London that is 20 minutes faster than Stansted when the MTS is brought into service. .

I am guilty as everyone here to automatically dismiss wild rumours like I just did with Busters claims of new hangars close to the run up bay but is there any evidence that it could be possible?

Well actually there is. I mentioned that the land drops away sharply north of Alpha and it would be very expensive to bring in earth to level the ground but that is exactly what the airport has been doing in one section for the last 18 months. As can be seen in this photo taken nearly a year ago the land is being built up and continues to be built up. The original level can be seen by looking at the 10 ft fence in the foreground that is half hidden by the trees.

For new hangars to be built there would also need to be a new apron, landside road and staff car parks plus services and sewage which would be expensive to put in. Looking at the raised ground in the photo maybe the area could be used as a new parking area for long term parking of biz jets and it could come straight off alpha. If a new biz jet apron isn't built it will cause a reduction in biz jet movements as the airport will be claiming back the biz jets aprons close to the former flying club in the next couple of years. The photo was taken with a zoom lens so is bigger than it looks and would make a nice sized remote apron for non airline use.

The land is being built up for a reason and the airport has been very quiet about what that reason could be. New hangars perhaps? Seems unlikely to me but not impossible. There will be a need for soil to raise the ground for the 26 taxiway extension but not this much surely?

Last edited by LTNman; 4th Mar 2017 at 08:13.