PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2017, 06:18
Bob Viking

Received 567 Likes on 159 Posts
M1key et al.

I suspect this is viewed very differently by most outside the multi-engined world (are you an ME guy?). I am a FJ guy with no experience of ME flying. I have also never flown on a Voyager but have been a passenger on many other ME types.

You and several others speak of a just culture gone forever. Maybe that is the general consensus within the ME world but I don't know of anyone in my world that feels that way. I don't know the pilot concerned and I'm sure he's a great guy but I think others have summed it up well. His negligence cannot go unpunished.

Some have tried to compare his actions to FJ incidents (the Cranwell Hawk for instance). Maybe I'm being precious or you may think I'm acting superior but when guys make mistakes in the FJ world they tend to be under very different pressures and operating in a very different way. I don't think it is possible to make direct comparisons with punishments (or lack of) handed down to a FJ pilot and the punishment in this case. They also do not have passengers.

I can empathise with the boredom experienced by ME pilots on a long flight but as a mere passenger I would expect there is always someone who is fully engaged with flying/monitoring the aircraft.

Despite the rules against carriage of cameras (in their current guise they only came in relatively recently - coincidence?!). I wouldn't have a problem with someone taking photos whilst someone else is with him (I have seen many cockpit photos on FB from airline pilots) but doing it whilst alone on the flight deck seems (to my FJ brain) a little silly.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts and despite how others feel this incident would not affect my decision to openly and honestly report an error. As we are always told a just culture is not a punishment free culture. That concept doesn't alter the way I do my job any more now than it did before the verdict was delivered.

BV