PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 21:52
Brian W May

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just culture looks after people who have made mistakes. AT's actions were negligent, plain and simple so, I don't think it's unfair for the RAF to have removed him from his role.

Owning up to your own negligence does not make it any less serious. Personally, I think it's right that he has gone; he almost killed 200 people through complacency and negligence. I very much doubt that there is an airline out there that would have let him keep his job.
As difficult as it might be to accept, I think the above covers it.

In another life, I was an RAF SFSO and it's my understanding that the no-blame reporting NEVER meant that if there was a gross breach of trust/competence et al that no action would be taken merely because it was reported honestly.

I believe one or two of you are getting it rather mixed up.

This particular case has attracted huge interest outside the RAF. The aircraft commander admitted his (gross) error of judgement. I'm sad that someone who has done so much good has suffered this, however it began and ended with HIS actions alone.

Only one pilot strapped in, nobody else in control and he was so bored he lost SA to this degree. If the board did not take action THEY not him would be castigated for not bearing their responsibility seriously.

No winners here - we'll see the court cases next . . .