PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 13:15
gretzky99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current sim training requirements?

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but what are the current simulator training requirements, if any, for B200 operators if operating charter only?

I know that after the Air North Braz crash, mandatory simulator training and checking (2 sessions of each within 12 months) was introduced for aircraft such as King Airs, Metros, Brazs etc, if a suitable sim was present within Australia. Unfortunately the way the CAO was applied, was I my opinion, poorly done.

Some quick background.

Now it's been almost 2 years since I've been closely involved with this so it may have changed, but this CAO only applied to operators that had a CAR 217 check and training system in place. My previous company operated B200s charter only, but required a C&T system as they also conducted single engine turbine ASETPA and RPT ops. As such all our King Air pilots had to use the sim in Mel. The frustrating thing from the companies perspective was other operators we were directly competing with regarding B200 ops were also charter only, but had no C&T system, and therefore no sim training or checking requirements.

The obvious training advantages aside, this was a completely ridiculous setup that imposed additional requirements on operators with qualified instructors and approved training systems, whilst not applying any to operators that had minimal systems in place at all.

Has this changed with the new part 61, 141/142 rules or is this still the case?

Secondly, I don't know to much about operators down south, but did this operator conduct ongoing sim training, and were they required too?

If this has already been asked and answered than I apologise.