PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VNAV only approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2017, 14:59
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aterpster

It is reasonable to conclude that Jeppesen wouldn't arbitrarily add minimums that are not on state source (AIP). So, the question becomes: why would Navair exclude some minimums that are on state source?
Well, Naviair are the state source:

"Naviair is by the Danish Transport Authority designated as AIM-office (Aeronautical Information Management) for Denmark, the Faroe Islands, and Greenland."
By inspection, it is apparent that all the lines of minima on the Jepp plate are also on the Naviair plate: LPV, LNAV/VNAV, LNAV, CIRCLING. The issue seems to be that what we are used to seeing listed as LNAV/VNAV, Naviair have called VNAV (albeit there is a 2' difference between the Jepp LNAV/VNAV DA and the Naviair 'VNAV' DA that I assume to be due to 'rounding'). Also according to the notes on the Naviair plate the "VNAV" minima are NA below -20º indicative of an APV with Baro-VNAV approach (of course if you have SBAS you will use the LPV minima).

The use of this VNAV term could simply be a mistake. Having leafed through the Danish AIP, EKSB is the only place where you find it, but it is also on the plate for RNAV 32. At other places the Naviar plates do indeed have an LNAV/VNAV line of minima. It could conform to some weird and wonderful convention that is lost on me. There also exist "RNAV" minima and "GPS" minima where one would expect LNAV.

Make of this what you will, but I reiterate the only reason we are aware of it is because ASHTAM was 100% correct in stating that such a thing as "VNAV" minima existed on some charts.

BTW, why on that Jepp plate is the LNAV minima listed as a DA(H) when it should be an MDA(H)

Last edited by oggers; 1st Mar 2017 at 15:36. Reason: spelling