PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian B787 - FLL based
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2017, 18:17
Direct Bondi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was told by an American FO that if someone takes this job they would never work for an American carrier in the future

You are correct that you would not be considered a scab. The perception might be that you support the inequities of Norwegian's novel and complex labor model. My perception is you are putting food on the table.

Pilots in the US are particularly sensitive to any group that threatens their job security and quality of life - The American Dream. This probably has its roots in the United Airlines 1985 strike. During the strike 530 pilots were hired with a directive from the CEO to cross the picket line (scab). The names of the 530 who scabbed were placed in a book and distributed to all UA pilots. The book is updated even today to include the names of relatives who later joined UA.

I am not aware that a book of US based pilots flying for Norwegian will be produced. I am aware that Norwegian's pilots will not be permitted to take advantage of the US airline jump-seat scheme to commute to/from work. The Known Crew Member jump-seat program requires participants to be employed by an airline, not a staffing agency.

I suggest you explore all options to secure direct airline employment, as opposed to “airline unemployment” via employment with a staffing agency precariously renting pilots to airlines. Your aviation career dream may become a service industry nightmare. Good luck.