PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2017, 09:35
Just This Once...

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I've no idea what has been presented at court and no idea as to the verdict the CM is likely to reach. Personally I have quite a bit of faith in the SPA and CM process and the access to the appeals court.

I've limited my comments to the SI report and the comments released by the press regarding the SI panel member. I'm an air safety guy with T&E experience and approaching 30 years of military aviation. I don't have access to all the data that the SI could draw upon so perhaps they have a bigger picture. But I do not think the data and opinion published in the SI supports the conclusion they reached. Just comparing the time stamps on the DFDR snapshots undermines their narrative. The failure to consider the dynamic interactions, at a time when the flight deck resembled a shaken snow globe, sets off professional alarm bells.

I fear that the SI came to a conclusion (which may or may not be correct) and used the SI report to sell it to the command chain who, in turn, sold it to the police and SPA. The SI should have provided equal weighting to all possible options, highlighting where the evidence supported or detracted from them.

A just culture is not free of blame, but to get to the blame bit the process has to be just.