PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2017, 19:45
Datum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred

With regards to the previous suggestion by another poster that developers should be responsible for the costs of go-arounds or diversions due to mechanical turbulence caused by non-aviation buildings on airport land, I would have to say "toughen up". There are far bigger risks to aviation than this. I would like to see any incident statistics based on this phenomenum.
Derfred

How many missed approaches, diversions, holding patterns, second/third approaches have you ever flown in a large RPT jet? Have you any idea of the fuel used? The aircraft I operate can be expected to use an additional 1500 kg of jet fuel for a single missed approach in 'visual conditions', or approximately 3500 kg in 'instrument conditions' (in cloud). When wind-shear and/or turbulence from inappropriate airport infrastructure results in an inability to land or even attempt a 'safe' landing, its usually multiple aircraft that are affected. Do the math. At some airports, this phenomena is likely to be costing Australian airlines hundreds of thousands of dollars every year.

Last edited by Datum; 27th Feb 2017 at 20:00.