PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence plan to scrap F-111s
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2003, 23:58
Captain Custard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheepgizzards,
I was merely defending myself against what I considered unnecessary vitriole from wessex, if that's OK.

Gnadenberg,
You're so gullible.

Soulman,
Given the opinions on this thread about the overwhelming need to keep these fling wings, is it not unreasonable to raise the issue of what the hell you're gunna do with them?? Sorry if I was actually giving them a task. Are they going to be tasked to fly, all on their lonesome, over hundreds of miles of enemy territory, with no support, to drop a few bombs or missiles to act as a deterrent or to destroy Osama in a cave? In today's climate, would they be used this way? Sure, in the 60s and 70s, when they were conceived, they had no threat in the near north and were the perfect device to get bombs a long way (with no tankers, and no other fighter-type jets that would go the distance) to keep the communist Indons at bay. But now, things are different.

The Iraq war proved that: I reckon we would probably be drawn into a regional conflict or assault on terrorists where a Close Air Support type mission (not with Ginweels and smoke!!!) would be the go. A manoeuvrable, dual-role jet would be much more beneficial. And as I said in my previous post, it's all about cost. For the money needed to run a few pigs, we may be able to have a couple of squadrons of F15Es, supported by F18s with overall much more strike power and much greater serviceability.

And if it's ships you want to hit, then let them come to within a couple of hundred miles of the coast, then let them have it with bucketloads of fighters with 'poons. You don't have to bomb them as the sailors are waving farewell to their families at the dock. Besides, today's politics would kill that idea dead quick smart. You start being too aggressive these days, and you run the risk of a small nuke coming our way. Defend the farm, by all means, but watch who you're hitting with your big (F111) stick.

Time for the pigs to join the Concrode at the bar!

And Ronnie, please keep one going for airshows, like you should have done with the Mirage (come to think of it, it was a pig pilot that wouldn't keep any pointies, was it not?).