PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF " workman " helps himself.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 06:39
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
When I was volunteered to be OC the station gliding club at an RAF station in East Anglia, since squaddified, we were permitted to use waste AVTUR in the winch and retrieve truck. Or so I was told - not that I bothered to ask for any proof.

One day I was over at the club when a Landrover turned up out of which hopped on of our members, who was a corporal on one of the flying squadrons. Spotting me, he said "Ah....Oh, Sir, Air Traffic have been on the phone to us, they've been trying to call you." I thanked him and went over to the clubhouse to use the phone..."No sir, it wasn't us", replied the ATC local assistant...."Nor us", said his colleague on the switchboard. As we were speaking, through the window I saw the corporal looking around rather shiftily, before removing certain green cans from the back of the Landrover, which he handed to his mate before driving back to his work.

On closer inspection a little later, I found that the empty cans were labelled OM15.

But of course I hadn't seen them being delivered, had I - I'd been on the phone at the time...