PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2017, 08:15
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another approach might be to ask yourself what you really want to do. You are probably correct when you say you might not be able to hold a Class 1 medical, so from that starting point you will have to move forwards. The first thing to ditch is the simulator. They are as complicated as the real thing and after an hour you will have learnt little other than it is complicated and you are probably out of your depth. It take us 10 - 20 hours to get our feet under the table when we know what we are looking for. If you must, spend the money on a PC based simulator.

Now you have to decide what sort of flying to do. I started gliding and for 800 hours or so it kept me amused. I then got a PPL and for a time flew both. But the gliding was for more interesting. In a glider I could fly higher, for longer, faster and further and I could go racing, do aerobatics and have an adventure. In a bug smasher I paid huge amounts of money and achieve very little. Not long afterwards I become a tug pilot and that was great fun. I never tried microlights; I never liked the idea of weight shift flight but a three axis jobby might be fun. I did a few hours in a helicopter and that was a bit of a novelty but was only fun when close to the ground. I also never flew an auto gyro. They look like fun. I also enjoyed flying model aircraft but never did enough to become any good. I will take this up again when I have more time.

My suggestion be that if you don't know what you want to do, go for some trial lessons. Gliding, power, microlights, autogyros, motor gliders and model aircraft. Each are very different, each have compromises and all have different costs. As for pricing, assume you are average and ask how much it will cost you to learn and also to keep proficient. What you don't want to do is get your ticket and not be able to afford to use it or worse, become a danger to yourself.

I hope you find what you are looking for

PM