PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2017, 19:51
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I can add to the discussion over control of loose objects in cockpits.

A few years ago, I was involved in a meeting to review location and design of some new switches on the centre console of a well known RAF heavy lift helicopter. At one stage, I was asked what I was doing about the risk of certain switches being accidentally knocked on or off. I replied that we would use DefStan 00-970 guidance and regulations, using gated switches plus clear indications in the primary field of view of the status of the switches. I was then told that we would have to add a set of large guards around a certain switch 'as the pilots always put their flip cards and other folders on the centre console in flight, as there wasn't anywhere else to put them'.

My first reaction was stunned incredulity. The idea that you'd have a folder sculling about loose in the cockpit, potentially knocking switches (and preventing the aircrew from getting at the controls) was, to me, amazing. I was even more amazed when this 'requirement' was endorsed by QQ, and led to a late design change to put a great bit set of side bars around the switch. However, I wasn't in the least surprised when the same people then tagged the side bars as a potential hazard as they 'might prevent access to the switch'. Sometimes, you just can't win.

There was (and still might be) a very strong culture that loose objects were 'acceptable' in this particular cockpit. A bit like the Voyager. If that's the case, then you could paint the whole s*****g cockpit red, covered in 'DON'T DO STUPID STUFF' signs, and you'd STILL get the problem. I agree with the Airbus response to this one. Putting a camera loose on a coaming anywhere near a control stick is just asking for trouble. And dull. Sorry, it just is. Same goes for putting folders on switches.

Best Regards as ever to all aircrew doing the long miles,

Engines