PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oops! BA804 LHR>BLL slight mishap taxying in this morning ...
Old 9th Feb 2017, 16:55
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spent a fair amount of my life flying around Scandinavia at night in the winter. I will say straight away that when it comes to snow clearance, they make us Brits look like very poorly-equipped Boy Scouts. However, there can be some occasions up there when clearing the runway (quite correctly) gets priority over the ramps and the taxiways.

In particular, I can remember landing off a CAT II approach at Landvetter one night and tiptoeing down the taxiway at a snail's pace to the ramp. Fortunately the ramp is a big place there and there was nothing in the way for I lost it and we ended up sliding sedately sort of sideways for about 100 metres or so before I recovered my presence of mind.

So, I have to tell you my favourite Billund story. One of my mates arrived there in the early hours of the morning. It is snowing and snow clearance is in progress. There is also a 30 knot northerly wind blowing (the runway is/was 09/27 and about 9,000 feet long).

He is looking at the fuel so he asks how they are getting on.

"We have cleared half of the runway and the braking action is good".

Get the books out, no problem, we can stop in half the runway so they start an ILS. Halfway down, my mate asks which half they have cleared?

"The North Half" came back the reply! So he now has 9,000 feet by 75 feet instead of 4,500 feet by 150 feet (don't forget the 30 knot crosswind)!

So, "Don't Assume, Check" is always a valid process.