PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oops! BA804 LHR>BLL slight mishap taxying in this morning ...
Old 8th Feb 2017, 23:20
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meaningless if you are not a statistician, or a fleet manager in possession of the full SP perhaps?

Yup, 'tis true that in this rudimentary test, G-EUPJ yields 50% more "issues" recorded on thebasource.com spread over 5 years than G-EUPM, but notably 17% less than G-EUPM over the time period of all issues recorded by thebasource.com for G-EUPM.

G-EUPM's all occur in just over the past year. How weird is that?

Actually to be balanced about it, there was one more for G-EUPJ in July 2015 that falls out if you use "incident" as opposed to "issue" in your search

I must admit that since I had found this interesting way to search at tea time today, (which I can see you guys have had fun with now too!) I was myself planning on trying one or two other reg numbers of A319/320/321 for comparison. But it was past tea time for me. I did in fact type in one random BA reg no for another type entirely before I bogged off for tea and telly which was the first one that I stuck a pin into mentioned on thebasource.com front page today. That yielded a statistically less significant three "issues" over 5 years.

So what is it about the A319 type that causes so many "issues", especially in the last 12 months for these two aircraft that were both delivered 17 years ago? Bad luck?

Actually of the 44 (?) on the fleet of BA A319s, a search of thebasource.com for a319 issue yields 394 hits - an average of 8 hits per airframe. I haven't found a simple way yet to find the average over a set period.

A search for a319 incident yields just 10 hits including two mentions of the Billund yesterday (one tells us that Jettime Boeing 737-3YO OY-JTD operated as BA805 yesterday in place of G-EUPM; another two hits refer to G-EUPJ smoke in the cockpit in 2015; and another three out of the 10 refer to the memorable G-ErrorsUndOmmissionsExcepted LHR cowling problem in 2013).

A320s and A321s seem to do better on the 'issue' score at something over 5 hits per airframe average.

The two A318s I guess have to be spot on at all times for ETOPS so no surprises there that there are 19 hits for issues between those two since 2014.

So, all in all, yes pretty meaningless - except to those who hold more information and can go digging if so disposed