PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2017, 07:56
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Bunk Tester
RetiredBA/BY

I don't think this unbelievable at all, I think a Court Martial is fully justified and I hope they throw the book at him and that he loses his commission. This is not about cameras, sidesticks and a rapid descent this is about a total lack of integrity, a cornerstone of being in the military, or it used to be. If he'd have fessed up immediately, as you say, a hats on one way conversation with the boss, poss loss of seniority/captaincy for a couple of years and that would/should have been that. As it is he has brought the whole weight of military justice down on himself. Have I ever made a mistake when flying? YES Have I ever tried to cover it up and blamed someone else or the aircraft? NO

This is only opinion, we have to wait and accept the CMs findings.
I think you missed my point. I, too, believe a court martial is entirely appropriate in this situation. What is hard to believe is that the guy was not completely honest about exactly how this happened rather than trying to cover it up, particularly on a modern aircraft complete with CVR and FDR etc.

As I see it from what I have read here and in other sources, he is not facing the CM for his error on the flight deck, but for his attempted coverup.

Like you , I too have made mistakes, but have never covered it up.

Total honesty and integrity when errors occur are the cornerstones of the "just culture", at least in civil aviation. I don't recall it being much different in my days in the RAF albeit 40 years ago.

We, inc. TTN and two others are obviously of similar beliefs.

Anyway the findings of the CM will make interesting reading.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 8th Feb 2017 at 08:15.