PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation’s Future. Navy blue singlets, thongs, and hankies tied around your head?
Old 19th Aug 2003, 09:56
Johhny Utah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Next Gen - calm down for a second and have a think about what you're posting...
You state:
If pilot y is happy with what he is doing and how much he is earning, then leave him be. You on the other hand want to make him feel inadequate because he isn't on the same money as pilot x.
Wrong! I have NEVER gone out of my way to point out to someone how much more money than them I make. However, there have been plenty of people (yourself included) who advocate that I am overpaid. Note that it is not that I am overpaid relative to themselves, but merely overpaid. This is the sort of statement that I take offence at & which I belive is contributing to the downward pressure on the wages of our profession. After all, if certain managers think we're overpaid (ideally we'd all work for $0 - good for the balance sheet) and fellow pilots think we're overpaid - then hell, we MUST be overpaid. Do you see where I'm coming from?

I actually think that the problem is not that most airline pilots are overpaid - they're not -but that the vast majority of GA pilots are grossly underpaid. Perhaps we should try & raise the lowest level of pay, rather than dragging down the highest. After all, which approach stands to benefit our profession the greatest? You tell me...