PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation’s Future. Navy blue singlets, thongs, and hankies tied around your head?
Old 19th Aug 2003, 08:55
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
NG, I get it- probably better than you know.

Don't get me wrong. I love flying. It is the most fun I've had sitting down. I know that being a pilot and away from home for half my life has it's costs. It costs me about triple in phone bills, it costs triple in making up for time away by going out for dinner, movies, etc and trying to make time at home as 'special' as I can for my wife and kids due to the fact that I regularly say 'I won't be around to support you for ten days, I'm off to fly aeroplanes, have fun, eat out, drink with the boys, etc'. The ONLY compensation we have for that is money. Yes I could 'survive' on less but I'm not just a pilot. I'm also a husband and a father and they rank a LONG way in front of being a pilot.

You feel that I've taken a shot at you and your family by saying 'good luck' and you take offense. You obviously don't practise what you preach when you imply my wife is with me for money! If she was it would make my job of leaving them for days at a time a hell of a lot easier. I see as half my pay being compensation for my wife and kids for the fact that I'm NOT there to help out all the time. A reflux infant and a four year old tends to wipe the other halves out and being adequately payed for what I do assists with the 'recovery' from those situations.

Again, (and again for some), you are happy with what you are getting. and I'm genuinely happy for you Someone WILL appear and do it for less. Congratulations on having a wife that is happy for you to be happy flying, most people can't claim that. However, the reason that GA is the way it is is because EVERYONE has your attitude. Hope you enjoy your life when the airlines are EXACTLY the same way.

Still don't get it NG? Give it a few years and when someone has come along and undercut you and you're under pressure to get a a 'real' job to help with the bills and then you may. Need to lose those rose coloured glasses digger otherwise when the colour finally wears off you'll scare yourself stupid at just how the world looks!

Have a nice life.