PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jandakot Crash
Thread: Jandakot Crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2003, 08:27
Jamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day 520; a difference to outcomes in medical terms, is dependant on the argument. In this case, it is being argued that RFF is a 'life saving' service, so the question of outcomes is whether the patient/s lives or dies.

I would also argue whether there is a demonstrable difference in likelyhood of a serious incident in a training environment - my (brief) research indicates that while training does have a slightly higher incident count, it is of a minor nature and in fact the major incidents (ie death / major injury) which involve training flights are often en-route or training area locations, not on the field.

Those that have occured on-field, like the landing on top of each other thing, were out-of-hours anyway and RFF wouldn't have been on duty.

If an argument were to be made that these services are warranted, then - bearing in mind that the RFF role is puting out fires and cutting up wreckage - there must also be an argument for on-field medical services, and on-field emergency transport services, and........etc, etc. How big is the money bucket, and hands up all those willing to pay to make it big enough, again bearing in mind the fact that
When incidents DO occur in GA and involve either fire or sufficient occupant space intrusion to cause entrapment, then it is either all over well before the arrival of anyone, or is of sufficient duration that the response time difference (if any) between on and off field services is moot.
Look also at those places that have RFF - their main role is standing by at on-board medical incidents awaiting the arrival of ambulance crews.

Look at the various GAAPs around the country; I think you'll find the average response time to an incident - on or off field - by the government agencies (Police, ambulance, fire) would be as good or better than that of a dedicated service; and we are already paying for those services.

I am all for making our GA pastime / job / career (tick as applicable) as safe as possible, but this particular case goes back to the 'Ambulance in the Valley' syndrome - better to fix the problem of using old aeroplanes (all we can afford due to a host of reasons) than to argue for a cure for when they break / crash. (Sorry, I've lost the copy of 'The Ambulance in the Valley' poem that someone posted a while ago.)

RFF would not have made any difference in this case and this whole storyline reeks of someone with half a clue trying to fill column inches.