PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2003, 06:20
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEBF,
Firstly,let me state that I believe that the passing of an organic maritime AMRAAM capability for the RN (as opposed to the SHAR per se), IS a dangerous capability gap.

I highlight the difference because if there had been more vision and less inter service rivalry, then perhaps the GR7/9 could have been procured with a radar 10 years ago. The Blue Vixen would have been the obvious choice, although I suggest that integration costs would have been prohibitative. Alternatively, we could have followed the lead of the Italians, Spaniards and USMC in adding the APG-65 to the airframe. Then the SHAR could have been retired gracefully.

Frankly however, the SHAR airframe is of little value. I have read your regular posts about how useful the FRS1 and FA2 was in the Balkans. Rubbish! As an AWACS operator who flew many long hours coordinating the full spectrum of air assets over Croatia, BH, Serbia, Kosovo, Albania and the Adriatic between 93 and 99, the SHAR brought very little to the table.

It had no PGM capability (unless a Jag or GR7 lased for it), it's recce capability was extremely limited, and it's endurance even more so. When Invincible pitched up for a couple of weeks during ALLIED FORCE in 99, they refused to disembark the SHARS to Italy, thereby reducing it's endurance considerably. The SHARS would then pop up once or twice a day to do a 20 min DCA CAP. This compared to the 2-4 hrs which most useful assets did. Such endurance over Afghanistan would have made it next to useless given the distances involved.

The RAF/FAA GR7/9 will soon get the excellent ASRAAM, which will close the gap between AIM-9 and AMRAAM. Moreover, the GR7/9, whilst not having an AI radar, will at least have Sea King ASaC7 support. While the AMRAAM capability is a loss, please stop harping about how useful the SHAR is. Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer in naval air power (although they always rely heavily on land based ISTAR and AAR support). But the SHAR is not a major loss. There are FAR more important things for the MoD to be spending dosh on.

Regards,
M2