PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue...a victory, of sorts
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 09:33
Fire and brimstone

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
There still seems to be a major issue with the safety information being disseminated to the people who need to know. (Whether they then do anything with the information is a separate - and also massive issue).

Have you ever tried to get an operator to MOR an event?

I've only done this a few times - WHEN I THINK IT IS IF SIGNIFICANT IMPORTANCE. Each and every time the operator refuses. Assorted reasons are usually given, typically challenging the importance of your report. It is simply a form of controlling safety data. I should not be surprised by this - given the case we have discussed in the previous pages. It still sends a shiver down my spine when a company refuses to forward safety data to the regulator.

Put simply it is extreme and literal example of operators trying to silence the safety concerns of pilots.

The safety reports NOT getting through is the cause of the major accidents and scandals which brought forward whistleblowing statutes in the first place. The NHS, Piper Alpha, etc. Have we not learned the lessons from misery and deaths that have been caused.

Companies and regulators have to listen to the front line staff for a safety system to operate efficiently. Yet they are expending energy actively telling us to 'shut up' and go away. How can a regulator listen to a company manager in preference to receiving a safety report. Do they understand what a 'vested interest' is??

The sad thing is: we all know this is going on. Hundreds have proof, thousands have deep felt reservations and suspect wrong doing. There have been numerous court cases.

Does it take that hull loss to change things?

A big investigation to find peoples safety concerns were crushed and silenced?