PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTF to ATO, what does it mean?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2017, 13:43
terry holloway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alex90
Was a post deleted? I don't see any explanation posted on the forum... Or is this the "private message" taking over a thread? I was recently quoted £100 per hour of instruction on my own aircraft for the IR, and the company (who will remain nameless) said that this was due to the high cost of becoming an ATO - so I would find it interesting to have information that seems to be missing from this thread.
The original post was directed at the PPL level, and yes I sent a PM.

Originally Posted by alex90
Figure to be confirmed of course... But that seems absolutely absurd! How can the UK CAA justify charging that kind of money!? (other than of course - they hold the monopoly in the industry and can charge anything they like for anything they want).

For what..? Approval to allow qualified staff to offer training to the level they themselves are licensed to offer? Why do they feel the need to make people's lives a misery / more difficult / much more expensive? Is there a process we can follow to force them to justify their costs, and perhaps overturn their prices?
I run an ATO which provides a wide variety of training within the "PPL arena". We also provide Competancy Based Modular IR Training. We did not increase costs/prices when we became an ATO two years ago. Our charges remain very competitive (when compared with RTFs) and we do not pay an annual fee to the CAA.