PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mallard Down in Perth
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2017, 13:35
Blake777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To return to the accident itself, a comment from a poster who was actually there and saw the plane's movements, and replied to a question I put, has been deleted.

I was commenting on the FR24 track, in which the original circuit apparently included an unsuccessful attempt at splashdown. Upon go round, the Mallard approaches on a track slightly north of his earlier circuit, giving much less room to successfully execute the turn and touchdown in the prescribed box.

I'm a little puzzled as to why he would have given himself less leeway on the second attempt? If he was unsuccessful on the first attempt at splashdown, how on earth did he think increasing the difficulty of the manoeuvre would improve things? It does not seem to allow for this beast's performance capabilities within the parameters prescribed unless he was a stunt pilot from way back. Low+slow+attempted tighter circuit than previous+shallow water = disaster? Plus girlfriend in cockpit+pressure for a big occasion performance. All a recipe for a catastrophe waiting to happen, it appears.

Very sad for the loss, and for the crowds witnessing. RIP to Peter and girlfriend. A tragedy for FMG also.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...h-cqa/#c464eb9

Thanks for correction Air Bubba. Flight Aware not quite as conclusive.

Last edited by Blake777; 30th Jan 2017 at 15:21.