PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General advice on training and job prospects
Old 27th Jan 2017, 15:22
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
"The other apect i've been looking at is employment after training. This is proving more diffiuclt."

I can teach a monkey to fly. I can't make a monkey an aviator. (US Army instructor pilot, "encouraging me in 1968)

Employment after training is the most difficult part of the process. There are many routes from zero to employment, but not much certainty, it depends on your ability to take advantage of opportunities.
If you don't have a sponsor and a job waiting for your qualification, the next best choice is instructional employment at the school that trained you. After that, teaching flying at another and/or various flight schools. You can begin the long process of learning to really fly while teaching, make contacts and establish a reputation.

Or, work and fly as financially feasible. I know people who bought almost every hour to the level of general employability, scavenged hours, or bartered time for other skills. I know people who established their own flying businesses to build time.

This is a poor time to be in the helicopter business. The biz may continue to decline, especially in view of novel alternatives (drones, for instance); or if you're a determined contrarian, this is the time to become employable in a couple, maybe ten years when business expands and/or attrition opens a seat. The new pilot who will take that seat is starting now.

Most who start will quit for one reason or another. The only thing certain is that you won't fly for a living if you never start the process.