PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kipper fleet macho, chauvinist and tribal
Old 18th Aug 2003, 09:38
STS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm not going to attempt to comment on the case in this thread or this issue in general in the RAF, but as a woman I would like to add my tuppence worth to this thread for better or worse.

I was out this evening with some friends and we were discussing this one and were absolutely furious. We all work in "traditionally" male environments agreed that we get slightly miffed to say the least with women who seem to level these accusations at men very easily. We all agreed that we have met women that have done this, and usually they do have a track record and are not exactly the best at what they do. By doing that they make it harder for those that do face a genuine instance of sexual discrimination and aren't believed. That must be absolute hell, and I hope that everyone here would agree with that.

However, they also make it difficult for us. I have been in jobs where the guys are very cautious in their behaviour towards me and are quite clearly very nervous about being accused of inappropriate behaviour. How lousy must that be for them. I remember a training video I had to watch once that said that touching a member of the opposite sex on the shoulder was inappropriate behaviour. As far as that is concerned, I think the world has gone mad.

If anyone has been out with a group of women, you will know that we can hold our own. It just smacks of double standards. We make a joke - fine. Bloke makes a joke - go run to your boss and complain. Aaaagh.

The day that a laugh and banter become redundant is the day I hold up the white flag and become a lady of leisure.