PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 18:59
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDixson
Another associated thought: when I wrote " mistakes ", it wasn't in the sense of someone screwed up and put down 2 + 2 = 3.95. The technical areas involved in these crashes isn't engineering 101 material, so a bit of slack might be afforded the engineering groups.

I think it is fair to say: In the end it were Engineers that obviously did a mistake. That said the game is not easy for anyone involved. The Accountants and Managers have to make sure the costs stay such that they can sell the product afterwards.
This limits the resources available (Time and Staff) for the Engineering Team. Yet the product has to be a significant improvement in capability and efficiency compared to the predecessors/competitors and may not cost much more. And all this in a heavily matured technology. This means shaving off every ounce. Use of existing components where possible. And finally you need to get the product on the market, i.e. you can't test forever.
Consequences: All manufacturers are bitten from time to time. Which your list proves.