Thread: Mi 17-2 down
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2003, 17:27
Gunship
GunsssR4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mi-172 / Mi - 17 ?

cpt says :

Another concern on this type of helicopter is its emergency exits... russian certification standards are very different from those in the "west".
I know the Mi17-1 cargo has 2 jettisonable windows on its right side with the big front left sliding door (also jettisonable) ....the clamshell doors at the back are very often obstructed by freight an luggages, an are not designed to be jettisoned as well as the cargo sling hatch.
Besde this the 17-1 (in my CIS time) was certified for cargo flights and "service passengers" only.
I believe the 17-2 is an improved version of the 17-1 with a proper certification for public transport, and I hope if this is the case, that the emergency exits issue has been enhanced.

Most of the time, on international market, former CIS certified aircrafts can offer very attractive costs and very good performances, but "westeners" users also very often forget that insurances policies use to require a FAR certification standarts for aircrafts.

Despite this, the Mi 17 remains a wonderfull helicopter.
cpt .. your concern is everybody else's as well.
I do not know if you guys remember the Mi-8 / 17 that crashed just off the coast of Freetown in Oct 01 ?? Correction ?

VERY experienced test pilot and rumour has it flew into the sea just after dawn. Not my point - my point is :

A day or three later - all 15 ?? Mi-8 and 17's where inspected for emergency door release. Not ONE made the test. This info I got from a very respected person and was relayed confidentially.

The problem is / was / no still is ...

The UN took these russian crews with their (magnificent) machines but they servicing / back up lacks - that is a FACT !

I do not want to spread rumours but I have serious doubts that the Russian / Eastern block can still maintain these machines.

We have been waiting over two years for critical parts ... a guy doing it that works per hour .. will he wait ????

My bit ..