PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying MOGAS from petrol stations
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2017, 08:54
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The use of compliant Mogas in my O-200 has been a 100% excellent experience, for 3100 hours over 30 years, never a problem. But, I do assure that it is the right gas as per the approval - primarily, no Ethanol. Fortunately, in Canada the gasoline standards are uniform, and aside from vapour pressure variations seasonally, there's not much else to vary. Low octane Mogas has ethanol, so I do not buy it, high octane Mogas has none, so that's what I buy, and I check it. I've been told that things are not so straight forward in the US.

Ethanol fuel will run fine in aircraft engines, if you do it correctly. For several years, I was one of six pilots who flew an experimental (in the true sense of the term) C 150 on 100% ethanol. But, it was a modified aircraft and fuel system.

I got tired of the safety risk, effort and smell of transporting Mogas in jerry cans, so I bought the land, built my runway, and installed a 1300 liter gasoline tank 25 years ago. I have no issues with the airport operator. That said, I certainly know that other airport discourage dispensing for fuel on their property, which they do not control. In fairness to them, they may be required to have an emergency and fire safety plan, which would have great difficulty accounting for private gasoline dispensing. I do know of a few airports which whom arrangements have been made for private gasoline supplies - good on them!