PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying MOGAS from petrol stations
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2017, 08:13
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have jerry canned Mogas, but for me it is an "urgency" only means. It is simply messy and unsafe compared to proper pumped fueling. If there is no other method to get the fuel, then you have to do it, but to plan it as an operational norm is unwise. I had to jerry can Avgas into one of my planes a few wees ago, simply because the tanks were empty from an inspection, so fuel had to be brought in, as I do not keep Avgas at home. I fly my Avgas powered aircraft for fuel. I do keep a tank of Mogas for my 150.

For my experience, transporting small amounts of Mogas (a fill up at a time) is just not worth it, if it is practically possible to fly the 'plane to fuel it. As the saying goes, "if you think safety is expensive, try an accident.". If the reason for jerry canning Mogas is cost saving, it's not worth it in the big picture. There are huge risks of fire associated with jerry canning fuel - I'm also a fire fighter, I've been to the accidents. People, who were just taking 20 liters for their lawn mower, who ended up spending months in a burn unit recovering.

A part of the cost of fuel sold at the airport, is that it is the right product for the aircraft, and it is handled and dispensed safely. The less they sell, the more the costs go up. The new owner of my local airport has spent more than a million dollars in the last year, repaving the runway and apron, installing new fuel tanks and docks for the seaplanes. SO I do my very best to buy as much fuel there as I can, just to assure that he sees interest and a return on his investment. After all, it is very convenient for me to be able to fly 20 miles, and buy Avgas, rather than installing a second tank for it at home, and keeping it full.

When I have Mogas delivered (1200 liters at a time) I always specify that it must be ethanol free, and I check it before I allow the supplier to fill my tank. So far so good. That said, He has told me that my tank, which is single walled, and in a concrete dyke, will not meet the new requirements for a double walled tank, which will come into affect in a year or so, and he'll not be allowed to fill it for me any more. Then, either I invest in a brand new double walled tank, or just buy Avgas for the 150 also at the nearby airport - we'll see...