PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue...a victory, of sorts
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2017, 12:30
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once flew for a small charter company, overseas, where the "let's help the company" attitude was prevalent amongst crews. I later discovered it was a flying club for this who could not join the larger local outfits. T's & C's were poor compared to the locals, but there was no leverage from the crews as management knew the score. There was supposed to be a structured roster, but it changed daily due to crew call outs. If you flew a SBY, the next day was changed and the domino effect went through the whole weeks plan.
I later heard the CFO budgeted for minimum crews and absolute minimum SBY's on the basis that he expected crews to work on days off. After 3 years of no pay rise the guys & gals eventually got the picture; just before the company folded. We later discovered the managers had raided the so-called pension fund and waltzed off with full pockets.
So after 3 years of knackered flying and destroyed social life to "help the company" we all realised we'd been shafted.
In the Phoenix that rose from the ashes it was declared up front that working on days off was a no no unless it was absolutely unpressurised & voluntary and with the day off returned PLUS a compensation day of the crew's choosing. At least that saved the company any money cash flow issues. The crews had finally grown a pair.
There are company guys and company guys, and often the real ones are not at the top. The coal face guys need to protect their balance in work/family life because no-one else will. Managers & EASA are more concerned with balance sheets.