PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream IV in Bedford MA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 21:17
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think FlyMD has hit the nail on the head regarding training and checking. Every time we encounter someone sub-standard on the line or on the sim, we do our utmost to bring them back into the fold - but getting to the point where we say 'Thanks, but no thanks' seems to be a battle in most companies (present employer excepted, I must say...).

While no-one advocates a return to the bad, old 'the engine's dead and the captain's on fire'-days, I have myself during TRs afterwards have words with the provider. Depress scenario where they tell us not to put the masks on for 'hygienic reasons', fire scenarios where they just wanted us to sit in the sim on flt freeze reading the checklist and not simultaneously trying to return the aircraft to the ground are but two of the 'better' (or worse) examples I've come across.

As for recurrent training - I'm fortunate enough to be the one that designs that, but have had the usual "oh, you guys are fine", when we both knew we'd delivered a very mediocre performance. There are literally no pressure anywhere in the process or organisation to go out and improve or go out and be a better pilot unless you work for the right people. Many don't - so where is their incentive?

Basically, the question is: is it ok to be a bit rubbish, just because you don't work for the best-paying or most caring outfit?