PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream IV in Bedford MA
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2016, 00:45
formulaben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What surprises me on this thread is the amount of energy being spent on understanding the gust lock system - compared to the amount of energy spent on understanding and working out a solution to habitual non-compliance...

Others are entitled to their opinion, but in my mind, it was not GLs design of the gust-lock system (inelegant and inefficient as it may be) that killed them boys. Them boys were killed by crew that lost respect for what they were doing. We all do mistakes - but this was no mistake. This wasn't 'pilot error'.
You answered your own question there, no? Had this been an actual incident of pilot error myself and I'm sure many others would be far more interested by this accident, and also making an effort to learn from it. The complete lack of any form of checklist discipline and the lack of basic airmanship (dare I say negligence; 3 abort scenarios on this takeoff roll) is what leads professionals to dismiss this for what it is: a complete lack of respect for the aircraft, an embarrassing show of non-compliance and arrogance. It is undoubtdely an anomaly to "professional" aviation.

I go out of my way to read every Part 25 accident and I put myself in the pilots shoes and ask what I would have done...NO WAY do I get anywhere near the threshold without completing the requisite checklists. NO WAY do I initiate a takeoff roll with a primary control issue. NO WAY do I continue a takeoff without required N1/EPR of the day. This was an embarrassing display of "airmanship." I take no enjoyment in saying this, but it was simply amateur hour on that fateful night. As you mention, if there is a discussion to be had, it is how in the world does someone get so complacent?! I find it unfathomable...