PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jandakot Crash
Thread: Jandakot Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2003, 23:37
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yoh Stallie!

I Fly, I'm not sure whether I've got the wrong end of your stick but , the EFATO case has nothing to do with 20.7.4.

That reg only senshrines it in Oz law the simple fact is that ALL aircraft under 5700kg are certified to whatever amendment to FAR23. Period.

And without going into the details because you can find it yourself the ONLY sngle engine cases they are required to demonstrate for certification is then ability to maintain level flight (=+50fpm climb)at 5,000ft ISA with the inoperative engine feathered and the aircraft in the cruise configuration and a positive rate only with and engine failure after take off and the aircraft in the climb config, i.e. gear and flaps up.

ANY climb rate better than that is because the manufacturers wanted to achieve some other goal.

The most you are going to get out of a typical twin is around 200fpm if you hold your mouth right and get it set up properly.

The reality is that whatever height you have when it all goes pear shaped at MGW is what you've got and you are looking for the least worst "alighting" are in front of you using the live one to maybe broaden the choice.

Any attempt to turn without significant altitude has to cancel or make negative any climb rate you may have gained.

If you are nibbling at the edge then the result is inevitable, departure for controlled flight and we all know the consequences of that at low level.

It's called the laws of Physics and absolutely nothing to do with how good or well trained is the pilot or whether he is a nice chap or not.

I spent several days in a Coroners a whle back with about 13 barristers batting on my head getting the message across that it didn't make any difference how many pilots there were on board and even if it did have turbines, it wasn't going anywhere different on one engine than the piston version of the aircraft. That is nowhere much at all.

They eventually got it but as GT says, if smart people like that have a difficulty understanding the concept what chance ma and pa kettle.

It's not in the syllabus until ATPL and then only as interpretation of 20.7.1b, with nothing about why and the certification issues surrounding.

As for the VG, Raisbeck and other GW and field performance mods all they do is move the performance figures around, but they do nothing but make it worse should one quit and remove any buffers that might have been there in the first place.

It's called physics again.

On one of the turbines it moves VYSE, VMCA and VS to within a couple of knots of each other. Some operators use it routinely to get in and out of places it could not without, watch this space if they lose one under those circs. They know not what they do.

It's legal but not very smart.

Stallie is a very competent pilot, but even he would admit to having a difficulty keeping it all together with an EFATO and all of the tidying up, ball and bank angles and flying airspeed within a couple of knots, whilst trying to dodge the big timber.