PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 29th Dec 2016, 16:52
Olympia 463

Staffordshire GC

My handle will give away where I'm coming from.

I soloed on a T31 in 1964 at Meir near Stoke on Trent. I was a founder member of a club which was formed to go on flying at Meir when the ATC squadron there was disbanded. Our instructors were the civilians who had been doing the job for the ATC. I went solo after 30 launches - the first member of the new club to do so. I did a lot of flying in the 31 and a lot more on the Tutor, before I was allowed to fly the club Olympia. I found the closed cockpit a bit claustrophobic, but I eventually formed a syndicate with two other new soloists and a club instructor (the insurance required this). Later on I had a share in an Olympia 463 a wonderful machine.

I flew 2250 sorties in 22 types at 10 clubs in a 25 year career in gliding, becoming an instructor as one does, and a Silver C. I did try a weeks flying in 2007 to see if gliding was like roller skating, something you never forget. It is, however I really did not take to the modern plastic bath tubs, so didn't pursue it further. I get plenty of time on my gliding simulator - Condor before you ask - and have done another 2000 hrs or so plus a lot more cross countries than I ever did in real life. I enjoy reading the tales of derring do on here. Keep it up.