PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jandakot Crash
Thread: Jandakot Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2003, 15:51
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we tend to be a bit harsh on journos like GT. At least he, unlike many of his less learned colleagues in his profession takes a keen interest in aviation and tries damn hard to source reliable facts before going to print. I know from experience how he goes to extra lengths to research his info.

As he alluded to in his post. It's hard to work to an editors deadline and make sure every reported fact is 100% technically correct and at the same time keeping the information simple enought for the non aviation savy newsreader to understand.
Especially when those in the know either cannot or will not speak to the media.

Their job is to get the news to the public in a timely manner and unfortunately there are always those self proclaimed experts who will use the opportunity to get their mugs on TV or their name in print. Even if they have little or no knowledge of the situation. Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning had a few of them crawling from under their rocks.

Slice,

A friend of mine works at the company where the 5 pax were from. The aircraft was destined for work beyond Rottnest involving some scientific equipment testing over the ocean. Not sure where the YRTI destination came from in the media unelss they planned for awk somewhere around the island.