PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jandakot Crash
Thread: Jandakot Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2003, 15:28
geoffrey thomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compressor Stall:
Every time I try and defend myself in this forum I seem to get myself into more strife.
In this case there is no defence other than we did our very best to check and recheck facts from people who were not able to or didn't want to talk. Somewhat difficult to build a picture of what happened in just two hours.
The error relating to single engine performance came from one authority but I followed this up today with a correction part of which was subbed out.
The problem of course is to write an article that can be understood by the lay audience with out making myself look stupid. I was keen to reassure the travelling (RPT) public that aircraft were designed to fly on one engine. I had in mind jets and didn't realise that some light pistons have a window of speed where this is not going to happen.
Certainly I have learnt something.
Aside from that I think that the couple of articles are a reasonable summary of what may have happened. Some may not agree with the tone but they would be interested to know I have left out some allegations and comments that would be offensive.
Best GT