PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puerto Carreno cargo 722 crash
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 22:47
mach2.6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of things---

1. Iron Duck, I'm glad you alluded to it; I have been scratching my head all day trying to figure out if the pitch angle was wrong, as in insufficient rotation. I let it pass, because none of the videos give a "great" view of the amount of nose up.
2. Back in the 1960's (I was a mere lad then, of course), Piedmont Airlines in the USA bought some shiny, new 727's, the original, un-stretched version. Not the -200, as in this thread. They routinely operated into relatively short fields, one of which was KLYH, at 5850 feet, field evevation 942 feet. Of course, I was unaware of the finer points of load, density altitude, wind, etc that influenced aircraft performance (a mere lad, remember), but summertime in that town could get well above 30C. A lot. On many occasions, a crowd of the townsfolk gathered to see the new bird arrive and depart. 100 people or more was not unusual. In the USA.
3. Aviation is full of stories (threads on this site as well) of third world operators loading lots of dirrerent kinds of a/c to the gills. People standing in the aisles because all the seats were full. Baggage compartments filled to the brim, the only limit being cubic feet, forget about the weight. Most of the time, they got away with it. Sometimes, not.