PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue...a victory, of sorts
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 12:56
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700 hours is no indication of manning levels! It's all about how those duty hours are rostered.

In early 80's Britannia had a company limit of 700hrs pa. Since 90% of that was achieved in 7 months it could be quite tiring at times.

Currently the long haul programme consists of ramming pilots into economy seats backwards and forwards across the pond to save money on hotac and duty time, oh, and pilots...

That to me is the fault of the pilots. Where is the self-dignity.
I once had occasion to be planned to go to USA to collect & ferry an a/c home. 2 of us were rostered 3 sectors, economy, to travel 16 hours. They had then planned minimum rest before the return crossing. I discovered that the 'package' included business class travel paid by the supplier, and 3 days hotac on arrival.
Stern words were exchanged with management. In politic speak; frank, open & robust discussions took place. Views were exchanged and a successful outcome was mutually agreed and implemented.
They push; you know your rights & the strength of your arguments and push back. If you have the strength of your convictions, and solid common sense to back you up, then you'll win more than you lose. Somewhere up the chain of command you will find someone who has some nouse & gumption when they know the facts. I gave up arguing with indians years ago. You need to talk to the chiefs to get anything done.