PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operation Mikado
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 10:02
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember there had been plans for a Special Forces assault but while the benefits of success would have been worthwhile the probability of success was assessed as low, the risk of annihilation of the SF and the loss of its delivery aircraft near certain.

Wensleydale will also confirm that there was a 'serious' question asked of 8 Sqn on whether it could reach the FIEZ and how long it could remain on task. Once off task the plan was to ditch near the TF. While this might have given a useful, albeit very short, time on task the best that could be achieved was 4 or 5 shots before writing off the sqn.

With hindsight, for we were told nothing else, the question might have been in relation to either the initial Black Buck raid or of the initial landings on East Falklands rather than guessing when to launch. Under that assumption the question was not as daft as it seemed. Certainly there was pressure within light blue on trying to get a piece of the action.