PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2017 for Kenya Airways
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2016, 09:54
LADAN 2ALPHA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Huge shortage of pilots" is a fallacy. The last time I checked there was no shortage of pilots at the carrier. In fact, they were a little in excess for the current fleet, route network and the improved productivity the carrier targeted. They would have right sized it anyway with the Operation pride. The pilots leaving just solves the right sizing issue. Unless of course more leave, which is highly unlikely because most of those that wanted to jump ship have already done so. But for any reason if they continue to do so then potentially there will be a shortage just like what happened to the technical department.

The Engineers were to be right-sized too until they started to bail! The numbers of those bailing grew fast that the acute shortage was created.
I wouldn't bank on any expansion or any new routes outside of Africa in 2017. The current plan is to focus on Africa, in short, make the airline a leaner regional airline with concentration within the African market.
I don't see the carrier opening routes to the Americas or to any other Out-Of-Africa destinations any time soon...but for improvement in the carrier's operations and financial standing? Maybe!