PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating Cost - definitive answers please!
Old 16th Dec 2016, 16:17
Qtr Life Crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloated Stomach, Ive hardly made my decision about type ratings as I am in no way in the position to make any decision for another couple of years. I am simply putting some money aside for the all too realistic eventuality. I am, as stated above, looking for information about the cost of type ratings with airlines that use that method AS WELL as other airlines entry schemes. I just wanted an explanation of why type ratings are messing up the industry in your opinion. Im curious because although I have seen a lot of anger towards pay to fly (rightly so!), other than just general disappointment I have never seen the same anger towards type rating schemes that you have expressed. To me, with my research to date, airline sponsored type ratings are in the same bucket as airline sponsored training (used to be a thing, should be a thing, very few airlines offer it and don't count on ever getting it). If you know of the airlines you mention that offer fully paid schemes please post them (and dont just say BA), but the fact remains that the majority of British airlines that a fresh faced frozen ATPL grad can expect to work for seem to require some payment or airline loan for type rating education and I dont think thats going to change any time soon and I think its quite unfair to say that anyone who is doing what they need to get a job within the accepted scope of practise is ****** up the industry.

Also might be a country of origin difference in our english but a bond vs a contract lock in is a big difference in my world. My understanding is that a bond in aviation commonly refers to a loan given to you by the airline that may or may not (often may) be paid back from salary but will held regardless until a certain time is completed and if you leave you pay it, as Gbotley has referred to above. A lock in contract is where you are given a qualification and if you breach your contract you will be liable not only for the qualification cost but also breach damages etc. So apologies if there was any confusion.