PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating Cost - definitive answers please!
Old 15th Dec 2016, 22:38
Qtr Life Crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TangoAlphad, thanks very much that was one of the airlines I was looking for, being one that takes quite a few from the schools.

Officer Kite, yes of course I have which is why I have already put aside 25,000 GBP Cash for the type rating which is the commonly referenced price for the orange guys and slightly more than ryanair. Put simply although I have prepared quite well for this (will exit training with zero debt) and its more my obsession with knowing as much as possible. After all, I didn't get where I am only knowing 50 percent of the picture and on these threads most only reference the orange and the flying harp whereas other airlines keep their costs closer to their chests.

RedBullGaveMeWings, yes I understand how much the job market can change. However noting the spread of the job surplus thats only just coming into europe at the moment it would have to be pretty bad. Obviously brexit is an example of a minor upset but even that is recovering quickly (ryanair for example only announced a planned reduction of its growth in the uk, did not stop it and definitely did not reduce their presence while at the same time promising a 100 percent increase in scotland if they abolish APD). Also if you read the terms and conditions of tagged schemes, any event that would stop the almost inevitable aviation skilled labour shortage (as referenced in FLYBE's recent financial review as well as almost every asia pacific and american airline report for the last several years) would be catastrophic (remember the last 10 years problems were a first and only caused by a series of unfortunate events occurring one after another against all odds) and in that case the Tagged schemes would not protect you anymore than being a white tail as the contracts often if not always contain these clauses.

All,

What I am after in this thread is simply information from anyone as to the cost and employment conditions surrounding type ratings of European airlines, especially for airlines not commonly discussed in this forum. I appreciate all advice is well intentioned however with my current qualifications, savings and secure fall back I really dont need any advice about what programs to follow as I have made my decision. I also appreciate that many who cruise this forum are not wannabes but qualified pilots usually trained in the last 13 years, who experienced the worst aviation job shortage in world history, and who feel that it is their duty to spread the "truth" of the situation though it may be different while casting serious doubt (based on your experience which was understandably very frustrating) on the countless financial reports and black and white hiring statistics that are now showing its a great time to be a pilot (and yes after many false starts thanks to some ATO's). I myself completed my PPL and was about to finish my CPL over 8 years ago when I stopped due to the reality of the Job market at that time and my earning potential in my previous area of employment. Rest assured I would not have left my very high paying (yet horrible) job after watching aviation markets for all this time unless I had a very good idea of what the situation was as much as it can be predicted out to three to five years. Again I appreciate that all advice is well intentioned however..

can we go back to the black and white questions posted at the start of this thread

Thanks in advance