PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRJ down in Sweden
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2016, 19:56
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
. So as I see it, the regulator is at fault by setting the bar to low.
And the pilots have no responsibility for thinking outside the box, for surviving a TV screen going bad and for basic flying skills?
They can only do what they are thought and nuthin else?

I disagree, but I am from a different area I guess and those years flying bush in Alaska without no books and with no "training" made me look different at flying airplanes. As in "Do whatever it takes" to go home and have a beer.

Enough said, not going to argue anymore, different times I guess, and a good thing this was a cargo flight: A lot less dead bodies being scattered around the tundra in Sweden because of a faulty image generator.

The reason TD is that you were brought up & have many hours on 37 year old aeroplanes. The latest pilots don't have that experience & have most of their flt time using modern instrumentation.
Yeah, time in DC-3 and DC-8s did not hurt my stick and rudder skills, and believe me, old airplanes have their own set of demons built in, and one tend to play the "what if" game on long and dark flights: What would you do if this or if that happened? Kept us awake and sharp on systems and emergencies.

Most of the time we were too tired, 30 hour duty days, bunch of time zones.

.Those of us brought up in a less stringent era, and more pilot orientated, will not feel as restricted about doing whatever is necessary and argue the toss later on.
Bingo, that was all about surviving, not about stepping on some stupid rule or procedure made up to hold the hand of the weakest link in the cockpit.