PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRJ down in Sweden
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2016, 19:03
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One problem I see in todays world of training to minimum requirements is this; the trainers try to beat into crews A.N.C. but, they are also taught to beat in to the crews every time there is a problem, PF "state malfunction." PM does his best and with conformation of PF a QRH is called for. This is the rote of training. DoNot act as a cowboy, on your own, outside the checklist.
So now you have a scenario where nobody has a clue what is going on; the a/c is hurtling terrain-wards; is still controllable if you're quick and decisive, but by whom?? Ah, the big question. Somebody has to make an executive decision and decide what to do without a checklist and the usual nice calm process. There is a bull that has horns that need grasping PDQ. This goes against all the training rituals, but it is pure survival and the brain of some will be confused by the conflict and feel rudderless.
Those of us brought up in a less stringent era, and more pilot orientated, will not feel as restricted about doing whatever is necessary and argue the toss later on. I often found the modern youngsters, when faced with a piloting situation for which there was no black/white SOP or QRH, hesitated. Not their fault, but a training system fault. They had forgotten how to think as pilots first and crews of XYZ second. Normally they can succeed with the latter, but occasionally circumstances combine to thwart your coziness, and the former is required. That attitude needs to be there or you will flounder on the rocks.

Me thinks this debate has been had many times before on here; perhaps more general, but still the same subject. It comes around more than anything else.