PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type rating of choice - hypothetically
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2003, 18:30
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel What England is a meritocracy now

Soooooo nice to be understood,

First things first. Fiskey I didn't say that it would get me a job I just implied that it would move me up the pile. It is more likely that having demonstratred that I am not a training risk that I can convince an employer such.

Even if they are going to make me do the whole course again. At least they know that I am highly unlikely to fail and thus cost them money which is what the skill set part of the application dealt with. Obviously if I am a tosser then they are not going to give me job however good I am so the argument becomes nugatory.

Aircrew001 you are either naive or down south they have a meritocracy.

Do you really believe that you can be talentless and succeed. I don't.

That is not for a moment what I suggested. My implication was meant to be that money opens doors to allow people to see your ability. NOT give you ability that you don't inately posses and if I had the money I'd use it.

DO you think that every scholar at Oxbridge is ther due to thier amazing mind. 80-90% are but then there are those who mummy and daddy sent to the correct school, with the correct links and then just to tip the balance donated a new library to a college and lo and behold their BBC offspring just pass the entrance. Aided even more if they were a gifted rower, rugger ******, hockey player, etc.

I am not saying that it is fair, I dont believe it is.

If I had my choice every airline would interview every pilot with fATPL and put them through a rigourous selection and only those who came top of the list got the job. Unfortunately no one cares about my inate ability or background cos to find out they would have to wade through 5000 CVs from people so we have to resort to methods that get us noticed.

If that means adding more secured loans on my house then I'll do it. If I have to walk naked down the high street, I'll do it. If they want me to move to anywhere in the world, I'll do it. If you want me to be Saddam Husseins personal pilot and alienate everything and everyone I know then I'll do it. If you want me to chop one off I'll do it. Because I really do mean that I am willing to pay the price to succeed.

Don't mistake that with buying success. I only want to buy a shagging chance. Success comes once the foot is in the door for those who are able enough. I can make success, however I have to get someone to interview me first!!

Hope we're clear now because if you don't agree with this then it's you who are full of it or so far up the chain that you have lost sight of your roots.

VT. Bring it on

Last edited by Vortex Thing; 13th Aug 2003 at 18:46.